When the weather is warm you pay close attention to semen handling, but are you careful during the colder winter months as well? It seems semen handling procedures often become a bit more relaxed in cold weather.
You might think that since the semen was frozen, it’s no big deal to expose it to the chilly wind or to delay putting it in a pocket right away. However, it’s important to always handle semen carefully no matter the outside temperature!
Here are a couple points to consider while handling semen this winter:
1. Liquid nitrogen still evaporates in cold weather, so don’t forget to put the cork back on your tank as soon as you are done pulling out the straw.
2. Regularly measure your tank’s liquid nitrogen level, just as you should in the warmer months.
3. If your fingers are wet due to snow or ice, they are more prone to frost bite. Be sure your fingers are dry when touching semen canes, or wear milking gloves to avoid getting your skin stuck to the canes.
4. Pay attention if using the warm water thaw method. It takes just seconds for the semen to freeze again if it is windy outside.
5. Always warm up your A.I. gun. If you have a gun warmer, use it!
6. Make sure to allow more time for semen to thaw when using the Pocket Thaw™ method.
7. As always, slowly push the plunger into the A.I. gun while depositing semen.
For best results, think twice about how you handle semen outside the tank during winter weather!
Connect with us to learn how our world-class cattle genetics, progressive reproductive solutions, and value-added services can advance your operation. Click here to contact us today!